If you are unable to connect to the KVM console, review the troubleshooting tips below to assist in resolving the issue. Should additional issues occur, please contact Support.
- The KVM console is a Java applet. Java must be installed prior to accessing the console. Download it here.
- If Java in installed, ensure that a connection has been established using VPN. If a connection is not established, a warning will be displayed when attempting to connect to the KVM console that a VPN connection is required.
- The KVM console may generate one or more pop-up boxes during the connection process. Enable popups from https://control.softlayer.com in order to ensure a connection may be made.
- You may receive an error "Java applications are blocked by your security settings." For bare-metal iKVM devices, you will need to add an exception for the IP Address of the IPMI device. For VSI devices, you will need to allow https://control.softlayer.com and the IP address of the KVM. More information can be found at https://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_blocked.xml
- If the above conditions have been met and an error is produce that states, "Missing required Permissions manifest in main.jar," Java applets have not been enabled in the Java Control Panel. This setting was introduced as a security precaution from Oracle in Java SE v7. Enable applets in the Control Panel to resolve this issue.
Note: If using Mac OSX in conjunction with Google Chrome, refer to Information and System Requirements for Installing and Using Mac Java 7 on Java's website.
- If you are trying to connect to a VSI through the standard Java and are getting nothing but errors, you can also try using VNC.
If you have completed all of the checks above and still are unable to connect to the KVM console, contact Support for additional assistance in troubleshooting the issue. If a connection to the console has been made but issues occur connecting to the device, ensure the credentials being used to access the device are valid. Contact the account administrator to verify credentials, if necessary.