Enterprise Plus, the highest vSphere license level.
The licensing approach is tied to your deployment mechanism, there are two ways to deploy VMware 6 at SoftLayer:
- When deploying vSphere from the control portal: SoftLayer will automatically enable VMware Service Provider Program licensing (VSPP). On deployment, a default user "slvmadmin" is added to the Host for vSphere adminstration and integration services into the SoftLayer control portal.
- When deploying vSphere manually, customers can utilize bring your own license and media (BYOL/BYOM), which allows customers to apply their standard licenses to these hosts. Please note, for customers who wish to use their own VMWare licensing it is recommend that they order the server with a free OS like CentOS or as NO OS then install the VMWare OS via IPMI Virtual ISO
To help prevent device-related failures when running vSAN with LSI 3108-series controllers, run the following commands from the ESXi shell:
esxcfg-advcfg -s 100000 /LSOM/diskIoTimeout
esxcfg-advcfg -s 4 /LSOM/diskIoRetryFactor
- These commands must be run on each ESXi host in the vSAN cluster.
- These commands are immediately effective. No reboot is required.
- These commands result in persistent changes and remains configured across reboots.
For more information please visit VMware's KB article 2144936.
Installing the EVault Backup client on a VMware server can be done through a series of commands in the shell or terminal within the target ESX server. This procedure outlines the steps required to install the EVault Backup client on your VMware server:
To install the Agent, download and copy the Agent-VMware-ESX-Server-6.71.<version-info>.tar.gz package onto the target ESX Server using the following command:
wget -N http://downloads.service.softlayer.com/evault/archive/Agent-VMware-ESX-Server-6.71.2105.tar.gz
Note: You must perform the following steps locally on the target ESX Server.
- Extract the files from the package. To do so, use this command (in which “PACKAGENAME” could be “Agent-VMware-ESX-Server-6.71”):
tar xvfz PACKAGENAME.tar.gz
- Go to the directory where you extracted the package.
Run the installation script:
Note: The installation script will interactively prompt you for configuration information such as web registration (address, port number, and authentication) and log file name.
Enter the WebCC password for this server.
- Enter the EVault Backup Username as the input for the prompt requesting the WebCC username. Refer to the View EVault Backup Storage Details procedure for instructions to view the EVault Backup Username.
- Enter the EVault Backup Password as the input for the prompt requesting the WebCC password. Refer to View EVault Backup Storage Details.
- When the installation finishes, a completion message will appear, and the Agent daemon will be running.
Other Installation Notes:
The Install.log will be in the installation directory if the installation has succeeded.
If the installation fails and rolls back, the installation log will be in the
<Installation Failure directory>.
If it fails and does not roll back, the installation log will be in the
<Installation Kit directory>.
For more information, you are able to download the User Guide at: http://downloads.service.softlayer.com/evault/Documentation/VMware_Agent_User_Guide.pdf
Be sure you are connected to the SoftLayer VPN in order to view the above link. Refer to Getting started with the Softlayer VPN to connect to VPN.
Yes, you can deploy bare metal systems in SoftLayer, install any supported hypervisor (including VMware ESX) on these hosts, and deploy virtual machines using the native management tools. SoftLayer systems are deployed by default in VLANs for segregation and various networking components (such as gateways, routers, and firewalls) are used to create almost any topology.