Add and Edit a PTR (Pointer) Record
PTR, or pointer, Records resolve IP addresses into host names. Users may add PTR Records to be associated with an IP address via the Reverse DNS feature on the Customer Portal. Additionally, PTR Records may be edited in the same method as they are added. Follow the steps below to add or edit a PTR Record for a device.
Add or Edit a PTR Record
- Retrieve the Public IP Address for the device that will receive the PTR Record from the Device List. Refer to Access the Device List.
- Access the Reverse DNS Records screen. Refer to Access the DNS Zones Screen.
- Enter the Public IP Address retrieved from the Device List in the View IP field.
- Click anywhere on the row containing the Reverse Record details to open the row for edits.
- Complete or update the fields for the Record based on the table below:
Field Entry Reverse DNS The Domain to which the IP Address will reverse. Reverse TTL The time to live (TTL) for the new Record Notes Any applicable notes regarding the Record
- Click the Update button to update the record. Click Cancel to cancel the action.
What Happens Next
After a PTR is added, the Public IP Address to which the record is associated will begin resolving to the domain specified in the Record. It may be edited at any time. To remove details for the PTR, simply delete all information from the fields during the Edit process.