Within the Customer Portal, external, two-factor authentication may be activated to add additional protection when logging into the Portal. This additional layer of security protects the account from unverified access, ensuring devices, data and account information are protected. This external authentication is available in two forms:
- Symantec Identify Protection is our most commonly used external authentication tool, providing a dynamic security code used in addition to the username and password when accessing the Customer Portal.
- PhoneFactor authentication provides out-of-band authentication via phone call, SMS or mobile app.
Both methods of external authentication may be added per user for a small monthly fee. Follow the steps below to add external authentication for a Customer Portal user.
Add External Authentication
- Access the Users screen in the Customer Portal. Refer to Access the Users Screen.
- Select Add External Authentication from the Actions drop down list for the desired user.
- Follow the steps below based on the type of external authentication being ordered:
External Authentication Type Next Steps Symantec Identity Protection
- Select the Symantec Identity Protection radio button.
- Enter the user's Credential ID in the Credential ID field.
PhoneFactor Select the PhoneFactor radio button.
- Click the Continue button.
- Complete the prompts on the screen for Promo Code and MSA Acknowledgement.
- Click the Order External Authentication button to complete the order. Click the Cancel button to cancel the action.
What Happens Next
After adding external authentication for a user, the next steps are dependent upon the authentication type.
- If Symantec Identity Protection has been selected, our systems will require the Security Code associated with the user's Credential ID entered in the system at the time Symantec Identity Protection was added to the account.
- If PhoneFactor has been selected, the user must activate PhoneFactor in order to use this type of two-factor authentication with the account. PhoneFactor requires a valid phone number that the user must have access to any time he or she attempts to authenticate to our systems. PhoneFactor may be deactivated by the user or an administrator at any time.