SoftLayer provides Secondary DNS standard to all customers to cache primary DNS Zones in the event of a loss of data. While maintaining a Secondary DNS Zone is not mandatory, it is strongly encouraged for users with multiple domains. Follow the steps below to add a Secondary DNS Zone .
Add a Secondary DNS Zone
- Access the Secondary DNS Zones screen in the Customer Portal. Refer to Access the DNS Zones Screen.
- Select the Add Zone tab.
- Enter the Domain for the Zone in the Zone field.
- Enter the Master Name Server's IP Address in the Master Nameserver field.
- Enter the transfer time (in minutes) for which the primary DNS Zone will transfer to the Secondary DNS Zone in the Transfer Interval field.
- Click the Add button add the Zone. Click Cancel to cancel the action.
What Happens Next
After creating a Secondary DNS Zone, it will appear in the list of Zones on the Secondary DNS Zones screen. There will be a transfer of data from the Primary to the Secondary Zone in intervals specified when the zone was created. At any time, the Zone may be edited, manually transferred or converted to a Primary Zone. The Secondary DNS Zone may also be deleted at any time.