The Customer Portal contains a complimentary Password Tracking tool for every customer account. Password Tracking enables users to store software password data for devices and their associated software. Usernames and passwords may be retrieved through the tool in the event that the information is lost or forgotten and is also utilized by SoftLayer Support teams in the event that remote access to a system is required. Tracking passwords within the Customer Portal is optional and it is important to understand that any user with appropriate permissions has the ability to view all passwords stored using this tool. Usernames and passwords are used by SoftLayer Support only when necessary and authorized for ticket resolution. User and password information are manually tracked and will not automatically sync with a device or its software. Because of this, we recommend the Password Tracking tool be updated at the same time users and passwords are updated on devices and software. Follow the steps below to add a user to the Password Tracking tool.
Add a User for Password Tracking
- Access the Customer Portal using your unique credentials.
- Select Devices > Manage > Passwords from the Navigation Bar.
- Click the Add Credentials tab.
- Select the Device Name to which the user is associated from the Device Name drop down list.
- Select the Software to which the user is associated from the Software drop down list.
Note: Software listed will be that which is provided by SoftLayer through paid or complimentary subscriptions. Third party software manually installed on the device will not be available for tracking through the Customer Portal.
- Enter the Username for the software in the Username field.
- Enter the Password for the software in the Password field.
- Enter applicable comments in the Notes field, if desired.
- Click the Add User button to add the information to the Password Tracking tool. Click the Cancel button to cancel the action.
What Happens Next
After adding the user to the Password Tracking tool, the information will be stored within the tool until it is manually deleted. All user/password combinations are stored based on the Device Name by default, and are alphabetically displayed by Device Name, then by Username. User information may be deleted from the Password Tracking tool at any time.