A Digital Transcoding Job converts a media file from one format to another. Digital Transcoding is a complimentary service offered by SoftLayer to all customers. Follow the steps below to create a Digital Transcoding Job.
Create a Job
- Access the Digital Transcoding screen. Refer to Access the Digital Transcoding Screen.
- Upload the file for conversion to the Transcode Host via FTP.
Note: Host domain, username and password for Digital Transcoding uploads are available at the top of the Digital Transcoding screen.
- Select the Input File requiring conversion.
- Click the Select Input File button.
- Click to select the desired file for conversion.
- Click the Select button to select the file. Click the Cancel button to cancel the transaction.
- Select the Output Format for the converted file.
- Click the Select Output Format button.
- Click to select the desired Output Format.
- Click the Select button to select the format. Click the Cancel button to cancel the selection.
- Determine if a watermark should be added to the converted file.
If a watermark should...
Be added to the converted file
- Click the Add Watermark button.
- Select the file containing the watermark details from the File drop down list.
Note: Files selected for watermark must be uploaded via FTP to be visible.
- Enter the Placement Details in pixels in the From Left (px) and From Top (px) fields.
- Enter the Transparency Percentage in the Percentage (%) field.
- Click the Select button to add the watermark. Click the Cancel button to cancel the action.
Not be added to the converted file
Proceed to the next step.
- Enter the Job Name in the Job Name field.
- Enter the desired File Name for the output file in the Output File Name field.
- Click the Convert File button to queue the file for conversion. Click the Cancel button to cancel the action.
What Happens Next
Upon clicking the Convert File button, the new Digital Transcoding Job will appear in the Jobs List. Initially, the Job will have a Status of Queued. The Job will stay in this status until the Digital Transcoding servers have processed all preceding jobs in the queue. Upon completion of preceding jobs, the status will change to Started, indicating that the transcoding process has begun. Upon its completion, the status will change to Completed and an email will be sent with the results. Should an error occur, the status of the job will change to Error.