Customer Support tickets may be opened at any time to answer questions or assist with issues related to your account or SoftLayer in general. All interactions with Customer Support tickets take place in the SoftLayer Customer Portal. Follow the steps below to create a ticket.
Create a Ticket
- Log in to the Customer Portal using your unique credentials.
- Select Add Ticket from the Support drop down menu.
- Select the category that best fits the reason from opening a ticket from the Subject drop down list.
- Select your username from the Assign To drop down list.
- Note: If opening a ticket for another user, select that user from the drop down list.
- Enter a brief description of the question or issue in the Title field.
- Determine if email updates should be sent to the assignee or to others when the ticket is updated.
If email updates should... Then... Be sent to the assignee Select the Email me updates? check box.
- Note:If you are not the assignee, clicking the Email me updates? check box will result in the assignee being sent updates, as it is linked with the Assign to drop down list.
Be sent to others
- Enter the email address of the individual that will receive updates in the Email Others field, or select the email address from the drop down list.
- Click the Add Recipient button.
- Repeat the steps above until all recipients have been added.
- Note: Up to five (5) recipients may be added per ticket, no including the assignee.
Not be sent Proceed to the next step.
- Determine if there are devices associated with the ticket.
If there are... Then... Devices associated with the ticket
- Enter the device name in the Associated Devices field or select the device from the drop down list.
- Click the Add Device button.
- Repeat the steps above until all devices have been added.
- Note: Up to five (5) devices may be associated with a ticket.
No devices associated with the ticket Proceed to the next step.
- Enter any information regarding the ticket in the Details field.
- Note: When reporting an issue, include as much information as possible, including what actions took place during or when the issue occurred and screen shots, if available.
- Determine if files should be attached to the ticket.
If files should... Then... Be attached to the ticket
- Click the Attach Files button.
- Select the files to be attached to the ticket.
- Note: Up to two (2) files may be attached to a ticket.
Not be attached to the ticket Proceed to the next step.
- Click the Add Ticket button to add the ticket. Click the Cancel button to cancel the ticket before adding it.
What Happens Next
After adding a ticket, it will be routed to the appropriate member of our Support team for resolution. Tickets are handled using an "Emergency Room" methodology, meaning that the most severe issues, such as outages, are handled first, followed by service degrading issues and then questions. A member of the Support team will be in contact with the assignee(s) regarding additional information regarding the resolution of the ticket.