VMware administrators can quickly realize cost-effective hybrid cloud characteristics by deploying into SoftLayer’s enterprise-grade Global Cloud (VMware@SoftLayer). A key SoftLayer differentiator is that vSphere workloads and catalogs can be provisioned onto VMware vSphere environments within SoftLayer's Global Cloud data centers without modification to VMware VMs or guests. The use of a common vSphere hypervisor and management/orchestration platform makes these deployments possible. vSphere implementations in SoftLayer also enable utilization of other components of the VMware vCloud Suite – vCloud Automation Center, vCenter Operations Management Suite, vSAN, vCloud Network & Security, Site Recovery Manager, vCenter Orchestrator, and NSX.
The core objective of the VMware@SoftLayer cookbook series is to assist vSphere administrators deploy VMware vSphere environments within a SoftLayer infrastructure. The cookbooks are not intended to train you how to administer vSphere. Click here for more information on administering vSphere.
SoftLayer has several specific capabilities that give VMware administrators the flexibility of consuming bare metal instances and network, storage, and backup and recovery constructs in a self-service manner. These constructs can then be used to deploy fully functional vSphere implementations, which can be built to extend or replace on-premise vSphere implementations (VMware@Home).
The cookbooks available to administrators include:
- Build a Single Site VMware Environment: You, as the vSphere administrator, are walked through the steps of building your environment with SoftLayer, including using either Endurance or Performance Block Storage or QuantaStor.
- Migrate vSphere Workloads: Assists you after your vSphere implementation has been deployed in a SoftLayer data center. Scenarios are presented to help you migrate workloads [virtual machines (VMs)] into VMware@SoftLayer.
- Leverage NSX®@SoftLayer: This cookbook focuses on leveraging VMware NSX to provide software-defining networking (SDN) constructs to VMware@SoftLayer deployments.
- Catalogic ECX@SoftLayer: This cookbook discusses specific ways to manage and analyze CopyData in a hybrid IT infrastructure. The infrastructure is deployed on SoftLayer’s infrastructure using Catalogic Software’s intelligent Copy Data management platform, ECX, and leveraging NetApp Private Storage and VMware vSphere infrastructure.
- VMware@SoftLayer Back Up: Alternative approaches to backing up, recovering, and archiving VMware-based workloads (VM's) running in a VMware@SoftLayer deployment are described.
- VMware@SoftLayer Disaster Recovery: Details establishing a disaster recovery (DR) solution using VMware@SoftLayer are described using two use cases. The first pairs with an on-premise VMware environment, allowing an on-premise workload to be recovered in SoftLayer or vice versa. The second discusses recovering SoftLayer@VMware workloads in a second SoftLayer data center.
- Vormetric Encryption of VMware@SoftLayer: Use cases illustrate how Vormetric protects VMware@SoftLayer workloads by encrypting the VM’s data.
- Deploy a trusted cloud solution with IBM, VMware, and HyTrust: Integrate the various architectural elements to create a chain of trust from hardware up through the hypervisor and management applications.