The Image Templates screen in the Customer Portal allows users to upload an existing image from an Object Storage account. After being imported, images may be used to order devices or to boot an existing device. Images imported from an Object Storage account may be either VHDs or custom ISOs. VHD imports are restricted to the following 32 and 64-bit operating systems:
- CentOS 6.0
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.0
- Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04 and 14.04
- Microsoft Server Standard
ISOs imported using this tool must be bootable in order for the image to be eligible for import. VHD imports are limited to 100GB disks. VHDs should be named as follows.
Please follow the steps below to import an image in the Customer Portal.
At this time, only SoftLayer Supported Operating Systems can be used to load an ISO Template onto a VSI. A list of Supported Operating Systems can be found here: http://www.softlayer.com/services/software/
Import an Image
- Locate and record the following details for the image from the Object Storage account. Refer to View and Edit Object Storage File Details.
- Account Name
- Image Filename
- Access the Image Templates screen in the Customer Portal. Refer to Access the Image Templates Screen.
- Click the Import Image tab to open the Import tool.
- Select the Object Storage Account for the desired image from the Account drop down list.
- Select the Object Storage Cluster for the desired image from the Cluster drop down list.
- Select the Object Storage Container for the desired image from the Container drop down list.
- Select the Image Filename as it is listed in Object Storage from the Image File drop down list.
- Enter the desired Image Name for the new Image Template in the Image Name field.
- Enter any applicable notes in the Notes text box, if desired.
- Select the image's Operating System from the Operating System drop down list.
Note: The Operating System drop down list will be grayed out if the image for import is a custom ISO. This step is only required when the import involves a VHD.
- Click the Import button to import the image to the Image Templates screen. Click the Cancel button to cancel the action.
What Happens Next
After the import has begun, the system will located the image file in the Object Storage account using the specified path (Account > Cluster > Container > Image File) and will import the image file as an image template, which will be stored on the Image Templates screen. After the import has completed, the image may be used to order a new device or to boot an existing device. Additionally, the image may be deleted at any time. Image import times vary based on file size, but generally take several minutes.