Monitoring a device allows users to initiate service and slow pings to ensure the device is on line and responsive. If an echo is not received in the allotted time frame (1 second for service pings, 5 seconds for slow pings) an alert will be sent to the email address on the account. A status of Up in the Status field indicates an echo was received, while Down indicates the echo was not received. Follow the steps below to view and manage monitoring for a device.
View and Manage Monitoring
If the action to be taken is...
Add a monitor
Edit an existing monitor
Remove a monitor
- Access the Device List. Refer to Access the Device List.
- Click the Device Name to access the device.
- Click the Monitoring tab. All current pings are viewable on the landing page.
- Click the Manage Monitors link at right side under the tabs to manage monitors associated with this device.
- Determine if the action to be taken is to add, edit or remove a monitor.
- Select the IP address to monitor from the IP Address drop down list.
- Select the monitor type from the Monitor Type drop down list.
- Set up the notification options
- Select Notify Users from the Notify? drop down list to notify users of issues.
- Select Do Nothing from the Notify? drop down list to bypass user notification.
- Select the time frame for user notification from the use Notify Wait drop down list.
- Click the Add Monitor button to add the monitor the the device. The new monitor will appear in the Edit Existing Monitors section of the screen.
- Click any of the monitor details to open the monitor for edits.
- Update any of the following fields:
- Monitor Type
- Notify Wait
- Click the Update button to update the details. Click the Cancel button to cancel the edit.
- Click the Remove icon next to the monitor details.
- Click the Yes button to remove the monitor. Click the No button to cancel the action.
What Happens Next
- If a new monitor has been added, the monitor will appear on the Monitoring tab. The monitor will send a ping to the device every five minutes, expecting a response based on the selected ping type. If the expected response is not received, an email is sent to the notification email address for the account in the specified timeframe, if notification has been selected.
- If a monitor has been edited, the monitor will continue to function as specified in the monitor details. If type is changed, the amount of time to receive the expected ping will be different. If notification options changed, the way users will be notified of a failed attempts will be change based on the new selections. The monitor will remain accessible from the Monitoring tab.
- If a monitor is removed, the monitor will no longer function for the device. All monitoring associated with the removed monitor will cease and the monitor will no longer appear on the Monitoring tab.